Thursday, January 20, 2011

Beer Cosy How -To

making a crochet jar cosy is as easy as pie
everyone is doing it
i like attic 24's method (which i first learnt)
but getting past the girlie do-dads and trying something a little blokey
a stubbie holder, 
a beer cooler, 
what do they call them at your end of the world ?
i'm thinking fathers day
my fellas' birthday
maybe a wine cooler next for a gift ? ?





please note this pattern is in australian crochet terms
please adjust as needed to U.S. lingo
I used Panda "Feltable Wool" an 8ply wool with a 4.00mm hook.

base of the cooler

For the Base
Foundation: start by making a magic circle ,2 chain, make 7 trebles (first chain makes it 8), slip stitch to join (8 stitches)

Row 1: crochet two trebles into each stitch, slip stitch to join (16 stitches)

Row 2: chain2, crochet 1 treble into first stitch, treble into next stitch, *2 trebles in next, 1 treble in next* repeat** to end, slip stitch to join (24 stitches)

Row 3: chain2, crochet 1 treble into first stitch, treble into next stitch, treble into next stitch *2 trebles in next, 1 treble in next*, treble into next stitch, repeat** to end, slip stitch to join (30 stitches).

This is the base for a pilsner sized beer bottle, add an extra row if you have larger type bottles using the obvious pattern forming from Rows 2 and 3. This is also a  felted project that will allow you to still see the stitches at completion. So shrinkage of the wool is not at its optimum. If you wish to disperse the stitches more to a smoother felt, make your cosy larger - i.e. add two to three more rounds to the base in the pattern.

building up the cosy sides
For the Sides
I won't reinvent the wheel about building the sides of the cosy. Lucy over at Attic24 has an excellent tutorial so pick up over there. 

But change your wool colour if you wish and chain (x 2) into one of the base stitches (it doesn't really matter where). Now treble into each stitch on the way around the base (30 stitches including first chains), slip stitch to join.

I worked 30 rows of this to gain the height of the beer bottle. As you can see the cosy is quite baggy when finished.


So now the fun (?) part.  
I hand felted my cosy using boiling water, soap powder, bubble wrap to create the agitation and good old arm muscles.
And did that all over again (and again, icy cold water, then again !)
Good instructions on hand felting can be found here
Or if you make a few try machine felting.

To block the felted work, simply let it dry around the bottle you plan to use it on.
Place the wet cosy and bottle somewhere warm to ensure the wool dries quickly.

You can of course add a simple fabric stiffener such as a starch to make the cosy firmer.
There are many variables to this project, such as wool type and weight, hook size and pre-felt size of the project - so experiment and see what you invent !



its been a while since i did a "how to"
so please send me an edit if you spot a boo-boo or an improvement !

Share you wares ! Have you made a cosy ?
Link up and show us all your wonderful efforts :)



4 comments:

  1. I LOVE this !!! I think you need to add some to your madeit shop for those of us that can't crochet !
    Happy Friday and a fun beer drinking weekend, Dee x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this pattern! I am trying to make it for my boyfriend, but want to use a bulky yarn that I already have laying around. I'm wondering, what is the diameter of the base? That was I can adjust my hook size for the yarn and still get the base the correct size. By the way, I have zero felting experience. Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok - I have noted the name of the spa - was not planning on returning to Barbados anytime soon (too many places I need to travel to)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this pattern! I linked to it on my blog this morning for a Father's Day roundup. http://www.mooglyblog.com/2012/06/11/fathers-day-crochet-gift-list/

    ReplyDelete

Pinterest