Saturday, August 20, 2011

Nursery Make Do's


I had seen in a recent The English Garden magazine
a nursery that had used apple crates for their
raised nursery stock beds

I thought I'll have some of those !
and the apple isle
has an abundance of these wooden boxes
but you do need to dig a bit to find someone
who will part with them
and they range in price from $20 - $70 depends on
who you ask

luckily a local orchard said yes
and the manager was so good as to even deliver them
(and on the day and time specified !)

at first I planned to put a false floor using galvanised mesh
but to get weight bearing and a good surface for the pots
it was going to cost about $40 per crate
making it a bit of an outlay
for a non-profitable nursery

but my smartie pants other half
came up with the idea
to cut the base off
and flip it to the crate top

perfect - now the pots won't blow over
or get knocked off a table top and
are at an excellent height for maintenance

wait until he sees what 
I did with his gate for the 
front paddock

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pinterest